Every day, I listen to women’s stories of frustration as they bump the illusive glass ceiling. Women who know they are gifted, skilled, and called to lead, but can’t seem to find an opportunity, be promoted, receive equal pay, or get paid at all. I understand this frustration, because I have been there. It is painful and makes you want to quit.
The interesting thing is, God promises that “his gifts and his call are irrevocable” (Romans 11:29 NIV). So where are we going wrong?
The word irrevocable is defined as something that cannot be modified or terminated without the permission of the beneficiary.
I have to ask you…
You are the beneficiary of the gifts and call of God. Have you given permission for your gifts and call to be revoked?
Go ahead, stomp your feet, yell, throw something at your computer, blame someone, and then pay attention to what I am going to say next.
It is okay. I had to do the same thing.
Friends, many of us have given our power away by waiting for the approval and recognition of man. We must return that power to God. Our futures depend on it.
Will you trust God for your future? Will you trust that God does not lie – what He has promised, He can’t take back (Numbers 23:19). Will you trust that God has a plan and a purpose for your life that cannot be revoked unless you allow it to be?
That dream that keeps you up at night – it is from God. As Vincent Van Gogh said, “Your profession is not what brings home your weekly paycheck. Your profession is what you’re put here on earth to do, with such passion and such intensity that it becomes spiritual in calling”.
Calling can have different expressions. My call to be a teacher and encourager has materialized differently than how it looked in my dream. In the ministry profession, teachers teach in many ways. In my dream, I only saw one way. As it turns out, I am not a lead pastor, on a teaching team for a church, or speaking to thousands of people at conferences every weekend. That has not stopped God from using my gift of teaching and encouragement in one-on-one meetings, in a small groups, or the classroom. For years, I was paralyzed by the expectations I held in my dream, waiting for someone to hand me a microphone instead of just getting busy helping people.
Everything you do and don’t do effects other people. Your silent consent to withhold your gifts from the world is not only hurting you, it is allowing those God has assigned you to serve to go unnoticed and uncared for.
Stop giving your power away. It is time to reclaim the truth of God’s word.
Trust in God, not man.
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31 (NIV)
For the LORD Almighty has purposed, and who can thwart him? His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back? Isaiah 14:27 (NIV)
I want to close with 5 quick tips to encourage you today:
- The word “calling” implies there is a Caller. Your first calling is to be in relationship with your Caller. Anyone can have skills and knowledge. Success comes from being constantly connected to the One who gave you those gifts.
- Stop waiting for God to tell you how to act on your dream. So many people become paralyzed waiting on the Lord. The will of God is that you become like Him. When you step out in faith into the challenge of your calling, you will be refined into who He wants you to be. As long as what you want to do honors God and others, take the leap, God will catch you!
- Leverage your network. Stop waiting for someone to notice how cool you are. Choose one person per day you can connect with. A mentor, an advocate, a sponsor, an encourager. TELL people about your dreams.
- Get training and education. Education is priceless and doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. For example: You could simply ask to shadow someone in the field of work you want to be in.
- Recognize that walking in your calling is never a straight path. Nor is it easy. Serving Jesus is an adventure that requires dedication, persistence, and a lot of prayer. If the door is shut, go through a window. Regardless of how you go, get going!